This classic Southern combination is from "Lee Bailey's Country Weekends" (Clarkson Potter).
1. Cut okra into 1/4" rounds, discarding tops. There should be about 6 cups.
2. Put tomatoes in stainless or enameled pan and cook slowly for half
an hour. Do not scorch. Drain any liquid. There should be about 2 cups.
3. Cut corn from cob with sharp knife or defrost frozen corn.
4. Heat butter and oil in a skillet. Add okra and onions. Cook until onions are wilted and okra has begun to brown at edges, 10-15 minutes. Turn often, add reduced tomatoes and salt, and cook 5 minutes.
5. Add corn and cook 3-4 minutes. Season to taste.